The WhiteSource expert automates the entire process of managing your open source components by alerting on issues in real time, checking each new added component against your open source policies and generating comprehensive, up-to-date reports within one click.
Dimensions CM Versions
Dimensions CM version should be 14.3.2 and higher.
Step 1: Create a WhiteSource account
- Go to https://saas.whitesourcesoftware.com/Wss/WSS.html#!createAccount and create an account
- Login to WhiteSource using the account: https://saas.whitesourcesoftware.com
Step 2: Create a WhiteSource rejection policy
WhiteSource uses policies to define the criteria by which open source components are accepted, rejected or require further analysis.
- After login to your account, click "Policies" and then click the "Add Policy" button:
- Create a new policy with the following information:
- Name: RejectApache
- Match: By LicenseGroup
- Action: Reject
- Click add licenses
- Set up a policy to reject all Apache licenses:
- Value: apache
- Click Filter
- Tick the setting next to License
- Click OK.
- Click Add and the policy rejection now appears.
- Click Save.
For more information on policies within WhiteSource, please review the following video: http://www.whitesourcesoftware.com/automated-open-source-policy-video/
Step 3: Create WhiteSource product and project
NOTE: Products and Projects Like Dimensions CM projects are organized within products, we need to create both.
- Click on Products and the +New Product.
- For product name: Test1.
- Click Create.
- Click the button Add Project
- Drop down: File System
- Project Name: Project1
- Description: TestProject
- In explorer go to a directory containing some jar libraries and drag them into the Pre-Populate project section. For example, on Windows go to C:\Program Files\Serena\common\tomcat\8.0\lib and select two of the smaller jar files. E.g. tomcat-api.jar & annotations-api.jar
- Click Create Project and click OK at the following prompt:
- Select Products | Test1 | Project 1
- Under Alerts the following 2 alerts should appear, indicating that WhiteSource has audited the jar files and found potential issues with them
Step 4: Obtain the API key
NOTE: WhiteSource API
key The Api key is a parameter required by WhiteSource for integration with third party products such as Dimensions CM experts.
- Click the Integrate menu option
- At the API Key line click the copy link and paste it into a Notepad or Wordpad session
- Under Product Tokens, copy the Token value for the Test1 product and paste the value into the Notepad/Wordpad session.
- Under Project tokens, copy the Token for the Project1 project and paste the value into the Notepad/Wordpad session.
Step 5: Create a Pulse expert chain
NOTE: Test and configure the second Pulse server capability
This step assumes that:
- Pulse has already been configured
- A suite and product as well as the streams have been registered
- A Pulse Expert Chain has been successfully executed on the primary Dimensions Server (CM1)
- Access Pulse by going to http://:8080/pulse
- Login as the Pulse administrator
- Access an existing stream
- On the side menu click Expert Chains
- Click New Expert Chain and supply the Title: WhiteSpace Chain
- Click Experts in Chain and click the button Add Expert and select WhiteSource
- Scroll down and click Save
Step 6: Test the new expert chain and review the results
- Go to the work area of the the stream configured to run the WhiteSource Chain
- Copy into the work area a library jar file e.g. from the same Tomcat installation e.g. tomcatjni.jar
- Using a Dimensions Client perform a delivery from the work area
- Login to Pulse and access the stream within Pulse
- Click on the latest review
- Click the expert Chain to view the debug
- Click the Debug button and something similar to below should be reported
- To get more details, click the browser back button under Experts expand the Expert chain and Expert findings
More information on Pulse can be found in the online Documentation, go to: http://localhost:8080/pulse-help
Blog post on the Ultimate Guide to Pulse Experts: http://www.serenacentral.com/blogs/entry/cm-14-pulse-experts-the-ultimate-guide